How to create boot USB from ISO

mister_v

How to create boot USB from ISO

Post by mister_v »

Hello,

I want to create a USB boot disk from a ubuntu .ISO file.
The laptop doesn't have a cd-rom.

How can I write the ISO-file to the USB, so it boots from it.
I found some tools, but you have to install some program to make it work.
But I don't want that.
Is it no possible with commend line tools ?
Chris
Site Admin

Re: How to create boot USB from ISO

Post by Chris »

You can do this by:

Code: Select all

sudo dd bs=4M if=Downloads/ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdc conv=fdatasync status=progress
  • sudo: to be superuser
  • dd: The dd program we’re using.
  • bs=4M: The -bs (blocksize) option defines the size of each chunk that is read from the input file and wrote to the output device. 4 MB is a good choice because it gives decent throughput and it is an exact multiple of 4 KB, which is the blocksize of the ext4 filesystem. This gives an efficient read and write rate.
  • if=Downloads/ubuntu.iso: The -if (input file) the path and name of the Linux ISO image you are using as the input file.
  • of=/dev/sdc: The -of (output file) is the critical parameter. This must be provided with the device that represents your USB drive. This is the value we identified by using the lsblk command previously. in our example it is sdc, so we are using /dev/sdc. Your USB drive might have a different identifier. Make sure you provide the correct identifier.
  • conv=fdatasync: The conv parameter dictates how dd converts the input file as it is written to the output device. dd uses kernel disk caching when it writes to the USB drive. The fdatasync modifier ensure the write buffers are flushed correctly and completely before the creation process is flagged as having finished.
  • status=progress: Show the progress

If you restart you laptop check the boot-selection menu; Mostly by pressing F12 during boot.
Or set in bios. ( press Del, Esc or F2 during boot) depending on the maker of you laptop.